Wanting to Block Website on PC ?
Is your daughter spending a lot of time chatting with your someone you don’t know? Is your son wasting his precious time playing games online? Is you wife shopping irresponsibly on online stores ? Are you worried about your kid getting into online dating scene? Is your Employee wasting a lot of time on non work website ? Is your son staying up late nite to browse adult related website ? Are you worried if your employee is indulging in plagiarism? Have you ever wanted a solution to reduce your internet bill? Do you want to make websites load faster for you ? Have you thought of a way to reduce your bandwidth? Is social media websites reducing your employees productivity ? Are you annoyed of stupid advertisement and wished if you you stop them while browsing websites ?
If your answer is YES to any of the above question you have a good enough reason to block website on your PC. While there are many software ( both free and paid) available to help you block website, there are valid reasons why you would want to block websites without any third party software. Some people just hate to download and install any random software on their PC.
Fortunately there is an easy way to block websites using simple method without the need of installing any kind of software on your PC. Follow my step by step instructions and you will be able to start blocking websites on your PC in no time
Website Blocking Instruction for Windows PC
- Open NotePad with Administrative rights
- Through Notepad Navigate to your host file at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts ( If your windows iis installed on a different drive volume then locate the file according )
- Add Lines as mentioned below for each websites you want to block
- Save and Exit Notepad
In this example we just blocked myspace social site. Now when anyone tries to browse the blocked website, it will throw an error about something like “Unable to connect to myspace.com….”
Pro Tip : If you use Windows Defender on your PC, make sure you exclude the host file from auto scan , otherwise any changes you make to your host file will be reverted back.
Website Blocking Instruction for Mac
- Find the host file . To do so, go to Finder > Go > Go to Folder > In the box type the following without quotes “/private/etc/hosts” >Press Return
- At this Step a New Finder window should be visible to you with the host file already selected. Just drag the host file to your desktop
- Double Click on the Host file to open it with your text editor.
- For example if we want to block myspace social website , we will just a line to the host file like this :
- Save and Exit.
- Transfer the host file to its Original Location ( /private/etc ). When you drop the file in its previous location, system will ask you what to do about the duplicate file, choose – Replace. You will then be asked to type in your administrative password to authenticate.
You can add as many entries as you want. There is no restriction to teh number of websites you can block. Just make sure each one of them is in a new line and has the correct format.
Remember that you cannot block https [SSL] websites with this method but anything other than that can be blocked easily. If you encounter any issues with blocking websites on your PC or Mac, do not hesitate to ask for help here using our comment system